Monday 22 August 2011

"WE DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE TO STAND"

If you should go to Kigali, I recommend you never go to Rainbow Hotel.

Why? We arrived to Kigali on Friday the 19th around 3pm. We went to my friend D's house to see her, meet her family and get my hair ready for the day after. When I finished, my friend L was still having her hair done so I got back to the house to wait for her. One thing you should know is that I get car sick, so to avoid being actually sick in the bus, I slept through most of the ride, but I still felt a bit queasy. As I wanted to wait for L before going to the hotel, D told me to sleep a little. Eventually, I woke up and ate a little so I was fine. L came back and she had her hair done for the wedding. I don't know what time it was when we left for the hotel, but there was a night club in the hotel.
We went to the room and the receptionist told us about how we could call her room if we had a problem. We asked her when they served breakfast and she told us that we needed to tell her at what time we wanted it, because they didn't want to wake us up. We finally decided against it, because we need to get to the hair salon at 6 am to have my hair and nails done. When D and her father left, L began digging through her stuff to get ready to bed and I went to the bathroom. Upon entering, I noticed the shower installation and I regret not taking any pictures. The water heater was directly in the shower and the wire was taped to the other wire to get the electricity. When I got back to the room, I said I was scared to take a shower. L thought nothing of it and she went to shower and get ready for bed. When she came out, she told me the bathroom floor was flooded because there was nothing to stop the water from getting out of the shower space. There was no bathtub and the curtain wasn't long enough... And the sink was leaking to. So I went to take a shower. I turned on the tap and the water heater did it's job. At some point, I wanted more water, so I put my hand on the tap and I got an electric shock. It didn't hurt, but I couldn't turn it. I finished showering as fast as I could, grabbed the nearest piece of cloth I could and turn off the water. When I finish getting ready for bed, L was already sleeping, not having the opportunity to sleep earlier, she was really tired. I went to bed to the sound of the music playing and the people talking in the night club. We got up the next morning, told L what happened and we went to get things done and to the wedding/dowry.
During the day, L thought she forgot her camera at the hotel, so she went to look for it and talk to the receptionist about the electric shock. So, she got back and she found her camera where we were dressing. She told the receptionist there was a problem with the shower and the receptionist told her: "Oh, electronic shocks!". Clients usually complain about that and there is the same problem in every room, we only had to take a dry cloth to turn off the tap. When we got back at night, we went to bed.
The next morning, I learnt there was a church too in the hotel. The band was rehearsing... with drums and all. Around 7:30, there was a knock at the door. L told me not to answer, but eventually, after 20 minutes of knocking, she answered the door. It was breakfast... the one we didn't ask for. We went back to sleep and around 10:30, the drum was being played again... There, all we could do was laugh. We got up, got ready, ate and called D to be picked up with our things as we were changing hotel. D's dad came with her brother. L and D's dad went to pay. When they came back, something else had happen... The receptionist was wondering why we were leaving, so L told her we were leaving town and she answered: "Oh, we will miss you!". Then she went to prepare the things so we could check out. The receptionist invited them to sit. L sat, but D's dad said he didn't want to. But the receptionist told him: "WE DON'T ALLOW PEOPLE TO STAND!" He didn't sit right away, he first told the girl the chair look to uncomfortable. So another client changed chairs with him and he sat. They finally paid and we left.

On the other hand, the wedding was nice. Now we are about to visit Kigali a little bit. Tomorrow, we are leaving to go to Kenya.

1 comment:

  1. ?? Pourquoi ?? T'as vu des trucs louches au Rainbow Hotel? - Bon trip au Kenya! - Julie

    ReplyDelete