Thursday 11 August 2011

First few days in Burundi

I arrived sunday evening at Bujumbura. There is no internet connexion where I am staying and I have no internet connexion on my cellphone yet, so I won't be able to update often. I visited the southern part of the country and I went to Tanganyika lake. The people over there don't get to see white people often so they stare.. my friend told me to stare them down.. it works, but not always, a guy waggled his eyebrows at me.

I'll put more details when I get a computer.
Upon arrival, we had to wait forever for our luggage and there was not enough space to allow everyone to stand beside the caroussel. It also took forever to find a trolley to put the luggage on. And the X-ray machine was broken so there was only one lady checking everyone's stuff. So we got out of the airplane at 7pm and out of the airport around 9pm.

Monday, we slept all day and in the evening we went to swim in a pool. We won against the jet lag!

We left Bujumbura Tuesday morning. I was told that the road were in bad shape, but I was surprise to see they were good, sometimes better than the road back home. That is, before we hit the dirt roads... I bump my head a few times on the ceiling of the car. But I still manage to sleep a little bit. We first went to see my friends grand-mother. Then to see my friend's cousin's family. Then we went to see the Source of the Nile. There was some climbing to do to see a pyramid. There was no water there because the source is inside the mountain. But climbing down, we saw a pipe with a little bit of water coming out. There it was.

We spent the night in a hotel and we got back to Bujumbura... But first, we visited more family members and we stop by the lake. We even got to go at a resort called Blue Bay were we could swim a little bit. We might go back before leaving Burundi.

No comments:

Post a Comment